Ingredients and Supplies
- 450 g. standard pitted dates (Medjool dates can be used but are more expensive)
- 1/2 litre Mason jar (or similar glass jar)
- Approx. 3/4 c. water
- Pinch of Salt
- Splash of Pure Vanilla Extract (optional but recommended)
- Food processor
- Tightly pack the pitted dates in a Mason type glass jar. You should be able to cram about 450g in a half liter jar.
- Pour water over the dates until the jar is really full. Add water if needed to cover dates.
- Cover the jar. Soak dates overnight, at least 12 hours.
- After soaking, transfer the entire content of the jar, including the water, to the bowl of your food processor.The mixture should look chunky and gooey.
- Add vanilla and pinch of salt.
- Process dates on high speed for about 5-8 minutes, or until smooth and creamy. The longer you process, the smoother and creamier your paste will be. After 3 to 4 minutes, you will have obtained a paste, but it will still be somewhat grainy. Run the processor for a bit longer.
After the desired consistency has been obtained, transfer your date paste back to your Mason jar. Place it in the fridge. Paste will darken after a few days. Keeps 3-4 months.
Photo Credit: The Healthy Foody